Tuesday 11 September 2012

Congratulations

Congratulations

Hello blog friends, thanks for calling in today. Sorry for the late start. I did my post as usual but when I went to schedule it I realised I had forgotten one very important detail - I'd only forgotten to take a picture of the card, that's all!! What a cloth head! Anyway, by the time I realised this the light had gone so I had to wait until this morning to take a photograph. Bet I don't do that again!

This card is a tribute to my nephew Nigel. Last year he took part in the Marathon Des Sables.  This is an annual event and takes place in the Sahara Desert. The total distance is 151 miles - the equivalent of running 6 marathons in 7 days - in temperatures of up to 50 degrees Celsius!!! He is a quantity surveyor and had the support of many of  his clients in his fund raising efforts, as well as family and friends. His goal was to raise £20,000 for Mencap. In fact he raised the incredible sum of £56,000 !!!  No, I haven't made a mistake  - he really did raise £56,000. Isn't that amazing? He came in 297th out of 848 runners. Not a bad place eh? You may think I am a bit late in my congratulations, but he has just heard that he has been invited to lunch with the Countess of Wessex, the patron of the charity, at her home.  As you can imagine we are all very proud of his achievement and this is well deserved. So, well done Nigel!!!


Sneak peak at the inside, showing the 3D butterflies



Showing the stamp used on the inside.


The stamp used for this card is from Our Daily Bread Designs - Bird and Butterfly labels. Since I love Labels 18 I couldn't resist this set. I didn't have a suitable quote so after I had stamped the image and diecut it, I then taped it to a piece of paper and computer generated the quote onto the diecut. The background papers are Charcoal Prints from Dovecraft and the butterflies are Flystickers. Ribbon and beads are from my stash. As you can see I also decorated the inside of the card because I needed to be able to write something (not easy on black card!) and also so that I could use another of the lovely stamps.

Anyway, I hope you all have a good day. With love from Christine xx

I would like to enter this into One Stop Craft challenge No floral embellishments;  Crafty Cardmakers  Winged things;

Thank you for all the lovely comments you leave about my cards. I appreciate each and everyone of them!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi again Christine, yes well done indeed Nigel.
This is such an elegant card and just so suitable for a male too. I too love Labels 18
Cheers & crafty hugs
Elaine

Patricia said...

Good Morning Christine,
Firstly, congratulations to Nigel what a fantastic sum to raise.
Love your card very elegant, really like the colours.
Have a Great Day

Patricia

Jenny L said...

Hi Christine,
what a fantastic achievement to have raised all that money, and rightly so considering what he had to do. No mean feat that, it takes hard work and very much dedication too. He deserves every bit of credit for a wonderful job he has done for that charity.
Now to your card it's really very wonderful, I love the inside, and well just everything about it. Those butterflies are fab.
Have a wonderful crafty day everyone.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Planetsusie said...

Hi Christine - I've heard of this race before - wow it really is an endurance test. To have raised that much money is absolutely amazing and to have finished at 297th place is beyond belief. He must really be very fit to have withstood the heat - never mind the distance. I can't even walk on sand without falling over! You have certainly made a card fit for the occasion - absolutely beautiful. Did you have a design in mind or did you wing it. I have real trouble winging it to be honest. I love the colours you have chosen and I also like those butterflies - they go really well with the image.

Hugs to you Sue P xx

Sue said...

This is stunning Christine. I love the design and your attention to detail is wonderful.
Well Done to your nephew, that is such a great acheivement.

Sue

Christine Harrop said...

Well that gave me a giggle Sue - talking about butterflies and "winging it". Lol! I just stamped the image and knew I wanted it monchrome so I searched till I found these papers and that was it. There's no real design though is there - just a couple of different backing papers and a few butterflies stuck on!!!! These stamps are so lovely that they kind of do the work for you. Love from Christine x

Linda (Lindyloo) said...

Hi Christine,
This is an amazing card for an amazing gentleman. What an achievement, having tea with the Countess of Wessex, well I never!! Sorry, my silly sense of humour at work :E
To complete the race is an achievement, but to come in the first third of over eight hundred entrants is some achievement. What a dedicated man he must be. It is no wonder you are so proud of him.
It sounds to me that all your family as a whole, are very dedicated and thoughtful people.
Your card is stunning and showing thought and attention to detail. I love it.
Hugs Linda x

Christine Hussey said...

Hi Christine, what a wonderful man your nephew is. That is no mean feat and to do such an incredible distance in such extreme heat is exceptional and he deserves the recognition for raising such a fantastic sum of money for such a wonderful cause. I know he will be honoured to have lunch with the Countess of Wessex but I hope her Highness is honoured to meet such an incredible man.
Your card is awesome, colours are fantastic and the detail perfect. The sentiment is a fitting tribute to Nigel and I can tell how proud you are of him, rightly so.
Thank you for sharing this achievement with us, love Christine H xx

Josephine said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks for joining the 'things with wings' challenge at Crafty Cardmakers!

Sonia said...

Fabulous and elegant card Christine:)
Big hug,
Sonia