Tuesday 15 August 2017

They're Changing Guards At Buckingham Palace

Good morning - no card today but I thought I would tell you about a trip we had last week with our WI. This is a post I did for our WI  Blog so I have just copied and pasted it.  You may find it interesting.
*****************

"I'm not sure whether Christopher Robin went down with Alice  because we didn't actually go to the Palace. Our aim yesterday was a private visit to Wellington Barracks, just a couple of minutes away from the Palace, which was kindly arranged for us by Major David Sewell a resident of the village. Unfortunately for us the English weather put paid to our plans. According to the newspaper headlines there was going to be a month's rainfall in one day - since it poured down the entire day I can well believe it!  However, we didn't allow that to dampen our spirits.


Wellington Barracks


Band of the Grenadier Guards



Latest Recruit to The Coldstream Guards (aka me)

Plans were changed because it was too wet for the new guard to be led to the palace by a marching band. Instead we were treated to the Band of the Grenadier Guards playing an impromptu mini concert for us - under cover!  When the first strains of Jerusalem started I think we all felt goosebumps and I don't think a single person was left unmoved.  They finished by playing the Regimental Quick March The British Grenadiers.  This was an amazing experience which I doubt will be forgotten.

From there we were taken to the Coldstream Guards stores where LSgt Duckworth showed us some wonderful uniforms, swords etc and some of us even had the dubious honour of trying on some of the tunics, great coats, bearskins etc.  My goodness, those great coats weigh a ton!! I shall have the greatest respect next time I see a soldier marching whilst wearing this particular item of uniform.

Our next port of call was the Guards Museum which was an interesting experience.  With my nursing background I was particularly interested to see the candle holder which Florence Nightingale carried around the wards of Scutari hospital and also the small cup which she used to give dying soldiers whiskey, or other spirits, to ease their passing.

We then were led to the Guards Chapel.  Adjacent to the chapel is the Flanders Field Memorial Garden, dedicated to those who lost their lives in WW1.  The soil in the garden was collected by  children from the  war cemeteries and battlefields in Flanders.  Those of us who visited James Butler's studio a couple of months ago were also excited to see the statue of Earl Alexander of Tunis having seen the small "prototype".

Following our picnic lunch in the conference room of the Scots Guards the rest of the day was free to follow our own itinerary, although sixteen of us went to  Westminster Abbey for a blue guide tour.  Having only seen inside the Abbey on television it was wonderful to see this beautiful building "in the flesh" as it were. Others visited Covent Garden and went to see Buckingham Palace. It was certainly a first for me standing outside in the pouring rain craning my neck to check out the architecture! Unfortunately photography was not allowed in the Abbey apart from in the cloisters so you will need to go online if you want to see more details.  Our Blue Guide was incredible! The depth of her knowledge was astounding and she certainly made things come alive for us.

By the time we left Wellington Barracks for our return journey (still raining!!) we were all pretty well exhausted, having been on our feet for the entire day. However, everybody had a great day but I'm sure we will be having a restful day today.

Our special thanks go to Major Sewell and every other guardsman and officer at Wellington Barracks who made our experience so magical. We must also thank Liz and Dee for their organisational skill and who made this outing so enjoyable for us ."

Well sorry for such a long post but it was a terrific day out and because of our connection to the major we were able to see things to which the general public do not have access.  

The sun is shining so John and I are off out for the day. I will be back on Thursday with a card.

Take care and I hope the sun is shining where you are.

https://tysoewi.com/  Our website link if you are interested in checking it out.



5 comments:

Brawny x said...

Glad you've had a fabulous trip Christine. It will do you good dear x

lydia jordan said...

Morning Christine,
Wow! what a wonderful trip, never to be forgotten. Thanks for sharing.
Lydia
X

Jenny L said...

Hi Christine,
sounds like you had a wonderful day apart from the weather.
I remember when I visited a few of the wonderful Royal places with the WI, and I thoroughly enjoyed ever minute.
Wouldn't be able to do it now though as I can't stand for long periods, and walk very far without a walking wheelie thing now.
I remember the seeing some of the wonderful carriages including the beautiful gold carriage used for the coronation, and my that wonderful sight still remains with me today.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

MRS DUCK said...

Hi Christine
Just playing catch up. What a wonderful day you had. Wouldn't be the UK if it wasn't slinging it down in Summer lol!!!
Love your new hairdo but the black dye job doesn't suit you lol!!!
Take care.
Ang x

Unknown said...

Glad you've had a fabulous trip Christine. It will do you good dear
โกลเด้นสล็อต
สูตรบาคาร่า
gclub